Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Looking Back at the NU BC rivalry

This weekend, BC takes on NU. This will be the fifth meeting between NU and BC this year, the Eagles are 2-1-1 vs the Huskies so far this year. As we approach Friday night, I have been thinking about how much the BC NU rivalry is really taking off. No, NU is not even close to BC biggest rival...that is Boston University. The reason BU and BC have a great rivalry is because the two programs have always been at the top of college hockey. Now that NU is really starting to play better hockey the last couple of year, BC may have a new secondary enemy in this city. I would personally rank NU second on BC's list of rivals. I don't think that people give Greg Cronin enough credit for what he has done to NU. When I saw that NU beat BU last weekend in their best of three series, I said to myself "WOW". I don't know if I want to admit it, but NU seems to have BC number more then any other team in Hockey East. Last year, BC was the number one team in the country before going into Matthews arena and losing to the Huskies. In the 2009 season, BC was once again the number one team in the country going into the Dogpound. Once again BC came out with a loss. This year, BC's last loss had been JANUARY 16 @ Maine. Think about that, BC had gone a month without losing a game before losing to an extremely underrated Huskies team. Of all BC's opponents, I think that NU is the most well coached team. The way that Cronin gets his team ready to play BC night in and night out just amazes me. BC is normally a pretty good team when on the road, but when they play @ NU, NU always finds a way to bottle up BC's offense. In the last 5 games @ NU, BC has a combined nine goals. Compare that to their last 5 games at BU, BC has a combined 19 goals. You may disagree with me, but I think that of all the teams in Hockey East, BC has the most problems with the scrappy Huskies. I am expecting Friday to be the best hockey game of the year. NU will be flying and hopefully so will the Eagles. I dont know bout you, but I am sure excited about this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment