Saturday, March 17, 2012
Previewing the Maine Black Bears.
In terms of how the Eagles are looking for the NCAA tournament, they have clinched two very important things. The first thing they have clinched is they are a lock for the #1 overall seed no matter what happens tonight. Being the number one overall seed means that BC will most likely play the winner of RIT vs Air Force (AHA championship game) in the first round of the NCAA's. The other important item BC has clinched is that the Eagles will be playing in Worcester. Last season, I think a big part in losing to Colorado College was due to the fact that we were so far away from home. I think the Eagles will play much better closer to home with their home fans cheering them on come next weekend. It is certainly always a fantastic game when BC and Maine meet under any kind of circumstance but tonight should be a physical, high tempo, high scoring, and most importantly, a fun hockey game to watch. Tune into @bchockeyblog1 for twitter updates throughout the game tonight.
Keys for the Eagles
1. STAY OUT OF THE BOX. This is by far the biggest key of all for BC because Maine's power play is as good as I have ever seen. Even without Abbott, they are very dangerous.
2. Goaltending- Unlike Providence, Maine is going to create a lot of chances on Parker Milner and the BC defense. If Parker can stand tall and not give up any soft goals, look for an Eagle victory.
3. Matching up with Maine's first line. The staff will match Almeida-Arnold-Whitney versus Maine's big line with Flynn and Diamond ( I Don't know who will replace Abbott). Those guys need to step up and have a big game for the Eagles.
Players to Watch
1. Brian Flynn. I was as shocked as anyone that he was not a candidate for Hockey East player of the year. Flynn is third on the Black Bears with 46 points.
2. Joey Diamond- Diamond had two goals last night vs BU and also leads the Black Bears in goals with 25 this season.
3. Matt Mangene- I think this kid is a really good hockey player. He has some serious speed that you don't normally see out of a bigger guy like him. He can be dangerous with the puck and on the PP
All Time Series- BC is 58-42-9 all time vs Maine. BC is 7-5 all time vs Maine in the Hockey East tournament and holds a 4-2 lead in championship games between the two.
Last Time Out- Maine defeated BC 7-4 on 1/21/12 @ Alfond Arena.
Prediction- If Abbott is indeed out, it is a huge loss for Maine. BC 4-3.