As you all know, the college hockey season is just around the corner but the drop of the puck @ Conte Forum also marks the start of another year of recruiting for the staff. Last year was without a doubt one of the best years in BC Hockey recruiting history as they gained commitments from Jeremy Bracco, Zachary Walker, Luke McInnis, Graham McPhee, Chris Brown, Connor Moore, David Cotton, and of course, Miles Wood. It is quite amazing how much better these next three recruiting classes will be (talent wise) compared to the past four we have had. Outside of last years freshmen class, we only brought in two NHL draft picks, combined, in the 2012 and 2013 freshmen classes (G and Matheson). For comparisons sake, there were 6 in the 2014 freshmen class, and two of the three guys coming in this year are already draft picks, the other will be a top five pick this summer. Here is the simple form.
2012 freshmen class- 1 NHL draft pick (G)
2013 freshmen class- 1 NHL draft pick (Matheson)
2014 freshmen class- 6 NHL draft picks
2015 freshmen class- 2 NHL draft picks (will be 3 in June)
2016 freshmen class- 3 NHL draft picks already (Bracco and White not eligible until this summer, will be 5)
So as you can clearly see, the staff has really ramped up their recruiting efforts over the course of the past couple of seasons. Detractors love to talk about BC's "shady" recruiting tactics but the numbers and draft picks clearly show that no other school in the country, outside of maybe Minnesota, recruits as well as BC does. For all the talk about how intense the BC-BU rivalry is on the ice, the most intriguing aspect of the rivalry is on the recruiting trail. In the 2010 documentary "The Battle of Comm Ave" Jack Parker was the first to point out that the rivalry off the ice is five times more competitive than the one on it. We win some (Wood, White) and they win some (Eichel) but a new hockey season only means another installment of colligate athletics' greatest rivalry, off the ice.
Anyways, I went out and tried to gather some information regarding a couple of top targets for the staff this season. A lot can happen over the course of a long hockey season so things will change but right now, I think this would be a pretty accurate list. It's not in any particular order but Krys is #1.
1. Chad Krys- The 5'11 defenseman from Ridgefield, CT is the #2 ranked uncommitted prospect on Over the Boards and it is widely known that his final two choices are BC and BU. The issue for the Eagles is that both of Krys' parents attended BU and his father was the captain of the hockey team. On the plus side, he hasn't committed to BU yet and a lot of people believe that BC has a legitimate shot to land him. If they did, what an upset that would be.
2. Jacob Bryson- A 5'8 defenseman from London, ON will enroll @ Loomis and Chaffee this fall. Played for the Labor Day Tournament winning team in Marlboro, Neponset River Rats alongside BC commit Connor Moore. 22 points in 32 games played last season for the London Jr Knights. Providence and Northeastern are also in the mix, among others.
3. Auston Matthews- 6'0 forward from Arizona, currently plays for the USNTDP U18 team, recorded 12 goals and 21 assists last season for the U17 squad. Supposedly was very impressive at World Jr Camp in Lake Placid earlier this summer. He is a draft pick of the Everett Silvetips (WHL) but has spoken with a bunch of colleges. If in fact he does go the college route, it would be a big time pick up for the staff.
4. Jake Wise- There was White, Eichel, and Hanifin, and now there is Wise. The North Andover native is only a 2000 (!!!!!!) birthday but completely outclassed the 15,16,and 17 year olds he played against last weekend in the New England Fall Prep league up in Salem, NH. He even gets that comparison that drives me insane every time I hear it...."he is the next Sidney Crosby". BC and BU again.
5. Ryan Shea- 5'11 defenseman out of Milton and BC High. Father Danny is certainly one of the top 10-15 forwards ever to play @ BC, certainly top 5 of the non-Coach York era. Look, I think the kid is certainly good enough to come in and play here, Over the Boards has him ranked #3 in their uncommitted list but I don't think the staff is going to get him and isn't because he doesn't want to go to BC. Who knows, maybe things will change and they will get him but as of now, it doesn't look good. Don't be surprised if he winds up you know where.
Have a good weekend. Go Eagles.