Thursday, April 21, 2022

Coaching Search Updates

You didn't think I'd pull a Mike Milbury and retire after one week, did you? This week, I have some coaching search tidbits that I've picked up through conversations with sources around college hockey. Let's jump right in. 

To my surprise, Mike Cavanaugh pulled his name out of the running for the BC job today, saying in a statement released by UConn, "I am committed to continuing to lead this program into a bright future".  My sources tell me that BC and Cavanaugh were extremely close to coming to a deal- he has a very, very good relationship with BC president William P. Leahy, S.J. and formally interviewed for the job on Monday. After hearing that Cav was on the verge of coming to BC, UConn gave him a pay bump. This, in addition to his Connecticut state pension, which goes into effect next year, were major reasons why Coach Cav decided to stay in Storrs. The fact that UConn is building an on-campus hockey facility next year also did not hurt. I have no reason to believe that Cav "used" BC to get more money from UConn- he was genuinely torn on what to do and in the end, decided to stay at a program he has built from the bottom up. Obviously, I wish Coach Cav nothing but the best- while it did not work out with BC, he deserves a ton of credit for staying committed to UConn and the program he built there. 

Ok, so now what? I think this is Greg Brown's job to lose at the moment. It is not a done deal, in fact far from it, but he is the favorite. I have heard from sources that Brown is meeting with BC athletic director Pat Kraft this weekend to discuss the opening. The only question mark (I would not call it a concern), on BC's part, would likely be the USHL schedule. Brown is currently the head coach of the Dubuque Fighting Saints, a team set to play in the USHL playoffs next weekend. If his team continues to advance, there is a chance they play well into May. Knowing Coach Brown, he wouldn't leave his team in the midst of a playoff run, but with the introduction of the transfer portal, there is an opportunity for the next BC coach to shape next year's roster right away. The longer it takes to name a coach, the less time that new coach will have to reset a roster that needs at least one more top-six forward for next fall. 

As for the other front-runners, I think there are some other names to watch.  First, there is Mark Dennehy- someone we had as one of the favorites to get the job when it opened last week. Dennehy has been courting BC hockey alums to garner support for his candidacy and there are many who think he would be the best replacement. Dennehy is currently the Chief Amateur Scout for the New Jersey Devils and is plugged in across the entire recruiting landscape, whether it be in the US, Canada, or Europe, which is a huge plus. 

A second name to keep an eye on is Ted Donato. Now, I do not think Donato is going to leave Harvard, but his contract is up soon, his son is graduating this spring, and he is looking for a pay boost. In my mind, Donato has done a great job in Cambridge over the past six or seven years- remember how much of a laughingstock Harvard was in the early part of the 2010s? Of course, Donato is a Harvard alum, so there are rumors that he is just looking for his alma mater to give him a (deserved) pay bump, but do not count him out. If we are being honest, I did not include Donato in my initial list, but I do think it would be a solid hire, if he actually left Harvard- he has consistently recruited at a high level and his teams play a fast, up-tempo style of hockey that is often highlighted by one of the nation's premier power plays year in and year out. 

As of now, I'd have Brown as the favorite with Dennehy close behind. I know BC has been reaching out to some non-BC candidates, but many of these potential candidates, like Nate Leaman, are in strong jobs with contracts that are hard to see BC matching. To me, we will know for sure at some point this weekend whether BC has any chance of landing one of these "big fish", particularly Leaman, whose athletic director is retiring this summer. The obvious hurdle to landing Leaman would be his contract- he is one of the highest paid coaches in college hockey, making over $700,000 per year. 

Lastly, regarding the opening at Boston University, I have heard from numerous sources that Mike Hastings of Minnesota State is a candidate and was recommended by former Terrier head coach, David Quinn. Hastings and Quinn are very close friends and have coached together on the international circuit. While Hastings is garnering interest, my money is still on Jay Pandolfo landing the BU job. 

That is all I have for updates- if I hear of anything else this weekend, I will be sure to let you know on Twitter. I am off to New Jersey for a "Ryder Cup" event with my college roommates- my team is 0-2 all time and if we lose again we may need a new BC hockey head coach and blogger! 





No comments:

Post a Comment