Thursday, April 28, 2022

Down to the Wire

Alright, we have some coaching search updates. Let's get right to it.  

Today, I learned from sources that Providence College head coach Nate Leaman interviewed earlier this week for the BC head coaching spot. Leaman's resume speaks for itself- the crown jewel is the 2015 national championship win over Boston University at the TD Garden in a game where the Friars were hefty underdogs against a loaded Terrier squad. Even if Leaman does not get the job, we BC fans will always be thankful for that game. In my mind, Leaman is one of, if not the top, coach in college hockey. He has led the Friars to two Frozen Fours and six NCAA appearances in ten years (nine years if you exclude the COVID season). Compare that to how the Friars were before he got there- they won 8 games in 2011, 10 games in 2010, 7 in 2009, 14 in 2008, and 10 in 2007. Before going to Providence, Leaman led Union to the NCAA tournament and essentially recruited the entire Dutchman team that won a championship in 2014.  Leaman's work in Friartown has been nothing short of miraculous- he has taken the Friars from a Hockey East bottom dweller to perhaps the most consistent team in the conference over the past ten years. 

Leaman's teams play a hardnose, physical style of hockey that is very different from the type of hockey BC fans had come to expect under Jerry York. Providence has not had the type of talent BC or BU has had over the past decade, but they are performing better than those teams almost year in and year out. Now, the question is, if Leaman gets the job, would he stick to the slug it out style of play that has led him to so much success or would he implement a more up-tempo system that utilizes what will be a host of a talented players on BC's roster. 

Getting back to the search, I tweeted earlier today that there are three finalist- Leaman, Greg Brown, and Mark Dennehy, but after doing some more digging and talking with more sources, I believe either Nate Leaman or Greg Brown will be the next head coach at Boston College. Over the past couple of days, a committee, including now departing AD Pat Kraft, held interviews in a hotel outside of Boston, and they will make a recommendation to Father Leahy, who will ultimately sign off on it (or not). The candidates will meet individually with Father Leahy over the course of the next few days on campus. 

My thoughts- 

 I believe Greg Brown should be the next head coach at BC. I have put a lot of thought into this (probably more than I probably should have)- and I have come to the conclusion that he has the experience, the knowledge, and the character to be the next head coach. Yes, I know what you're thinking, that I am only saying this because I've known Coach Brown for years, but that could not be further from the truth. I care immensely about BC Hockey- there are very, very few people who have been to more games over the past ten years than I have. I would not "endorse" (not that anyone cares what I think) anyone to be the head coach based on any personal feelings- I want this program to be where it was in the 2010s, competing for national championships every single year. BC has the resources, the talent pool, and the support to get back to where it once was and I know Brown is the right man to lead the charge. I spent my freshman and sophomore years at BC as a student manager for the hockey team and while I would never divulge anything sensitive about my time there, I can absolutely say that each and every player enjoyed playing for and respected Coach Brown- his knowledge when it comes to the game of hockey is second to none. On top of that, I guarantee you that you cannot find someone who does not like being around Greg Brown- he is one of the most genuine people you will come across. Some people I have talked to expressed concern about whether or not Brown can recruit at the highest level- I think his track record, in addition to the staff he will have around him is more than enough evidence to show that he can bring the best of the best to Boston College. All of the top end defensemen BC had during their dominant run in the 2010s- Matheson, McCoshen, Santini, Hanifin, etc.- who do you think was primarily responsible for recruiting those guys? Furthermore, if Brown gets the job, he will in all likelihood keep Mike Ayers and Brendan Buckley on as assistant coaches. These two guys were the primary recruiters for the vast majority of prospects in BC's 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes- with the former being one of the top groups in the nation and the latter being the best in program history. I understand that the past couple of seasons have been underwhelming- but the program is in a good position going forward with the players both returning and coming in over the next two seasons. 

Look, I have a ton of respect for what Nate Leaman has accomplished at Providence- it is, along with what Greg Carvel has done at UMass- one of the best turnarounds I have ever seen in college sports. However, I do have some worries. My first concern would be the playing style- I just don't know if Leaman's preferred style of play would fit with the mold of player he would have at BC. I do think the Eagles need to play with more of an edge, and Leaman would undoubtedly bring that, but would translate to more wins in March? I am not sure. Secondly, think about the long-term implications of this hire. BC hockey needs someone who can lead the program for the foreseeable future. It is no secret in the hockey world that Leaman has his sights set on a professional job. What does the program do if, say, they hire Leaman, he has a great first year, but the NHL comes calling and we are doing this all over again next April? Who do you turn to then? I have little doubt that if Leaman were the guy, he would propel BC back to where it needs to be in short order, but I have questions about how long he will stick around and the program absolutely cannot undergo two coaching changes in such a short period of time.  With Greg Brown at the helm, I believe you have someone who is committed to leading this program well into the future and this will allow BC to recruit at an even higher level. As I said in my first post after York retired, it is amazing how well BC recruited over the past two years with all of the question marks surrounding a potential retirement. With Brown at the helm, you have a coach who is immensely popular with alums and players leading the way and I have no doubts that it will lead to a program resurgence.  

I understand that a vast majority of you will disagree with what I have written here. The bottom line is, no matter who BC hires, they are going to get a great coach with decades of experience across all levels of the game. Whether it is Brown or Leaman, it is my hope that the administration, fanbase and alumni network will do whatever it takes to ensure that the next coach brings back banner #6 in short order (a few wins over BU would be nice, to). 

That is all I have for now- I am playing against the two best players at our club this weekend, both of whom outdrive me by at least 75 yards, so we will see how that goes. I will provide any coaching search updates I have on my Twitter handle (@BCHockeyblogger).




No comments:

Post a Comment