Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Midweek Column-Beanpot Time

The 2008 team after the OT win vs Harvard 
"It's the greatest social and athletic tournament in the country" those are the words of legendary Boston College coach John "Snooks" Kelly describing the Beanpot tournament and for those of you that disagree, just go to one Beanpot game. Simply put it, it's a tribal war between four schools separated by one river and they meet once a year in the first two weeks in February. Ask any hockey fan from Minnesota, they probably don't know what the thing is, but to us Boston hockey fans, it means everything because it's ours and only ours. The tournament itself has long been owned by BC and BU but it seems that this year it's anyone's to take. Another amazing thing about the Beanpot is that Northeastern and Harvard have NEVER met in the championship game. Think about it, we have been doing this thing for 59 years now (soon to be 60) and they have NEVER met in the finals. I personally, can't remember a Beanpot in the last ten years that has been more wide open than this one is.

I mean look it, Harvard and NU have brought BC and BU to the brink of losses this year, with BC and NU playing three one goal games (all won by the good guys) and Harvard had a two goal lead on BU earlier this year. Personally, I would not be the least surprised if NU gets Harvard in the championship but both will have to play there best hockey of the year to win their respective games. Now, you like me, want to see BC and BU square off once again (But Ill definitely be rooting for Harvard) and rightfully so because it's the best rivalry in the sport on one of the biggest stages in the sport. Someone asked me the other day "What is the best Beanpot you have ever been to ?" I thought about it for a second and replied "They're all good". (OK Tommy Cross last year vs BU was great) But, it's true. Every single Beanpot game is an amazing 60 minutes of hockey that usually involves some controversy or nail bitting finish.

If you ask me what my favorite sporting event of the year is, I would probably say the Beanpot. I don't know what else to say except that it's just the best thing in the world knowing that no matter what happens for the remainder of the year, you still are known as "Beanpot Champions".  It's pretty amazing that four of the best college hockey programs in the whole entire country are located just miles apart from each other. As for what I think about this year's tournament, you can probably guess what I think. BC Harvard. I am still wondering how in the world BU is second in the pairwise after those two losses but anyway, that's why they play the game. I also think NU has a very good shot @ beating BC. It is pretty darn hard beating a team four times in one year but remember the Eagles won all four vs BU last season including a first round victory in the Beanpot. Now let's looks a couple of list/stats.

My favorite Beanpot games

1. BC 3 BU 2 OT 2011. I don't know why but that win was just great, Jack Parker's reaction topped it off for me

2. BC 2 BU 1 2004. For as long as I live, I will never forget Ryan Murphy's goal that night. Also an amazing goaltending performance by Sean Fields of BU

3. BC 7 NU 6 2011. I have to admit, I fell bad for the Huskies. Every single year the are heartbroken by some type of late goal.

4. BC 6 Harvard 5 2008. Nick Petricki's OT goal and the canoe celebration were both amazing.

5. BC 4 BU 3 2008 first round. Nathan Gerbe, all I have to say.


Some cool Beanpot stats 

1. Harvard and Northeastern have NEVER met in the Beanpot finals.

2. Since this is Jim Madigan's first Beanpot as head coach of NU, it should be noted that NU coaches are 0-7 all time in their first Beanpot games.

3. John Cunnif of Boston College is the only player to win the Beanpot MVP more than once.

4. Since 1994, the Beanpot has either been won by BC or BU

5. BU's Jack Parker is an amazing 51-19 in the Beanpot. By far the most wins of any coach in Beanpot history.

6. Joe Cavanagh of Harvard holds the Beanpot scoring record with 19 points. (7 G, 12 A)

Tune in for more over the weekend !

GO EAGLES

No comments:

Post a Comment