|Destry Straight celebrates his first period goal thanks to a great pass from Kevin Hayes.|
As for the first line, I thought they did a good job of hanging in there in the first two periods and finally started to go after it in third when they were eventually awarded with a Johnny G goal. It was clear that BU was out to try to kill all three of these guys, especially Steven Whitney, but I thought all three did a good job of staying course and lighting it up in the third. As for the special teams, well, there were 34 combined penalties on the night and neither team was able to do anything on the PP until BU got a goal late in the contest. As for BC's power play, that is the only part of this team that I am a little concerned about. BU's PK was solid all night but BC definitely struggled to get a bunch of grade A chances on O'Connor. The Eagles had a 1:36 of 5-3 in the second but were not able to get anything going and were not able to score. On the other hand, I thought the PK was superb tonight. The usual PK'ers like Arnold, Whitney, and Mullane were all good but I also thought Quinn Smith was all over the ice tonight when BU was on the man advantage. It showed a lot when the staff had him out there late in the contest when BU was closing in on Milner...they obviously like his toughness in shorthanded situations.
Let's not forget Parker Milner. To be honest, with maybe the exception of Johnny G, he is the most valuable player not only on this team, but maybe in this whole conference. BU didn't get a whole lot of fantastic chances thanks to the BC defense but when they did, Milner was there. I don't know what has changed but one year ago vs these guys, he gave up 5 goals and was benched for a couple of weeks. What a difference a year makes in terms of his play and his confidence.
All in all, it is always great beating that team and their fake fans. It was clear that the opponent was out there to head hunt the whole second half of the third period which is nothing unusual. Sure, BC had their share of penalties but some of the things BU does when they know they are going to lose is pathetic and it doesn't belong in the game. Thankfully, the good guys won and will remain the kings of Comm Ave.
Why BC Won
1. Kevin Hayes and Bill Arnold were spectacular. Led by these two guys, BC was able to slowly but surely ware down BU as the game grew older. The speed and skill became too much for the Terriers.
2. Parker Milner is too good. Definitely my player of the weekend...he had 25 saves tonight.
3. The penalty kill. BC had some really key kills out there tonight, most notably when BU had a 6-4 after Arnold went to the box for hitting from behind late in the game. Great effort by the Eagle penalty killers.
4. Just a real solid effort by everybody. Whether it was a guys like Johnny G, Mullane, Hayes, or even guys like Brooks Dyroff and Quinn Smith, everyone gave it their all tonight.
5. BC is getting much better in their own zone. Also should note that Mike Matheson is the best defenseman in Hockey East right now and it's not even close.
The power play was not good. On a scale from 1-10, i'd put my worries at a 4 but I'm sure that both units will start generating more opportunities and goals as the season progresses.
Players of the Game- Hayes(#1), Arnold (#2), Milner (#3).
Next up- Friday night vs Merrimack @ Conte. Just one game next week.
It's a great night to be an Eagle.
GO EAGLES !!