Monday, April 22, 2013

Taking a Look At Next Year's Non Conference Opponents

Before I start with any hockey, let me just say that I hope everyone is recovering well from the horrific events this past week. Obviously, it hurts that much more when it hits close to home. Thankfully, the Boston College community did not suffer any losses. Amazingly, suspect #2 was captured no more than half a mile away from Coach York's house in Watertown. In an interview with the Boston Herald this morning, Coach says he is doing well and that he is thankful for the cops that were able to capture these evil men.

Anyways, on a lighter note, I think it would be nice to take a peek at BC's non-conference opponents next season. BC will play every Hockey East TWICE (instead of the normal 3). Unlike some others clubs, the Eagles will not play any non conference games vs any Hockey East teams, although I would like to see them schedule BU a third time because you know, the more BC-BU, the better. Other than that, here is what we have right now. Just to note, all of this could change. The locations I put down are educated guesses (some are final).

RPI- Right now Boston College is slated to host the Engineers but there is a rumor that the two teams could faceoff at Madison Square Garden with Cornell and BU being the other game. Certainly, that would be a great event. As of now, BC's opening game is RPI but that could very well change.

Army- Not sure the location yet but I'd put the odds on BC hosting.

Minnesota- In the 10+ plus years I've been following BC Hockey, I don't believe they have hosted the Gophers which means a date (or dates) this season should be extra special. It's been a while since BC has hosted a western power like the Gophers, North Dakota, or Wisconsin so hosting both the Badgers and Minnesota should be awesome. Right now, I believe BC is supposed to play two games vs the Gophers but that could change.

Wisconsin- For the first time since 2009, Boston College will host the Badgers. Mike Eaves' club is slated to play Boston College on a Saturday night after facing Boston University on Friday night. My best guess is this game takes place in November.

Michigan- This has the potential to be one heck of a road trip. For the first time in what must be 20+ years, the Eagles will travel to Ann Arbor to faceoff vs the Wolverines per sources. This game has yet to be confirmed but there is a 95% chance that it will take place. I assume the Eagles will play two games out there. Dates not yet known.

Brown- Another opponent we haven't seen in quite some time. Boston College will travel to Meehan Auditorium on January 11th (a Saturday) to take on the Bears.

Holy Cross- The ancient rivals will meet again @ Conte Forum the day after Thanksgiving. It's been a while since the two have met up on the ice.

Harvard- After a two year break, the Crimson and the Eagles will once take the ice against each other. I'm not sure of the location but I am assuming the game is in Cambridge because right now, BC only has three non conference road games (@ Michigan x2, @ Brown).

That's all I have for now but I'd like to see if BC could schedule a couple of more regional opponents. I mentioned the idea of scheduling the Terriers as a non conference game but I highly doubt the staff will do that. Besides that, I hope BC continues their series with Yale. I mean, they're the National Champs and if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. I'll be uploading a 2014 schedule page within the next few hours so be sure to check that out.

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited for next season (even though it's April). I feel that this BC team has the potential to reach unprecedented heights if the freshman can gel together sooner rather than later. With the "big four" of Matheson, Johnny G, Arnold, and Hayes returning, along with as deep a freshman class as you'll ever see, I don't see why it is unreasonable to expect this team to be as good a BC team as we've had in the past 5 years.









2 comments:

  1. October 2005 BC went out and played at Yost in Ann Arbor, followed by a game at Bowling Green the next night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your excitement is certainly shared. Though I am sad to see the number of BC/BU games reduced, if we can fill in the gaps with the likes of MN, Michigan, and Wisconsin, I'll take it. I also like playing the other regional schools like Army, Brown, RPI etc. It's good for the sport to have our brand (and that of the other big schools) spread around and not just all over Hockey East.

    I also find it interesting that as the NCAA selection committee moves to make the quarterfinal round of the tournament more "regional," schedules are becoming [at least a touch] more national as a result of the realignment.

    ReplyDelete