Saturday, April 12, 2014

He's Gone


Hobey Baker #3 for the program. Passes BU !
I'll never forget walking into the Fessenden School rink in early September of 2011 for the first practice of the year and hunting down one of the coaches asking what number this kid Gaudreau was. Coach Cav signaled "13" from the ice and I just kind of chuckled. The kid was smaller than I was and he looked like a toothpick out there. No chance he can compete at this level. Yes, I was a doubter. I didn't actually believe Johnny Gaudreau could make a living playing the game of hockey, and I didn't even comprehend that he would enter the ranks of Gionta, Gerbe, Emma, Janney, etc. I sit here tonight and tell you, I was wrong. Dead wrong.

In his three seasons at BC, there hasn't been anyone that's rooted harder for Johnny than me. For some reason, I thought he was a once and a lifetime colligate hockey talent. He does stuff with the puck that I couldn't do in a video game. Obviously, I'm not on the team and I'm certainly not tight with any of the players but just from being a bit on the outside, I could tell Johnny's teammates had an enormous amount of respect for him, and he felt the same way back. He treated everyone the same way, whether it was the blogger or the team manager or his roommate, he always seemed to take a few seconds out of his day to make sure you felt better. In his press conferences, he never once sounded above anyone else, I mean, if I had that type of talent, I don't know how I would act but I can assure you it wouldn't be as humble as Johnny was. In reality, that's what this program is all about. Sure, we want to win championships but the main goal is to produce young men that will go on and represent Boston College to the highest degree. I go to bed tonight knowing that Johnny Gaudreau will represent this school and this program to the very highest levels.

To Johnny, I think I can say on the behalf of everyone within the BC Hockey program, thank you for the lasting memories on the ice. Your sweet dangles, impressive snipes, and swift feet are second to none in this game. I wish you nothing but the absolute best in Calgary. Yes, there will be tons of people that will question your size and your strength but no one will call into question your skill and more importantly, your character. This university, this program, and this blogger will always be here to support you, no matter what happens out west. Thank you for everything.

And yes, he is the greatest Eagle there has ever been. Ever.

Go Eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment