|Steve Whitney after his game winner. Photo by Melissa Wade|
The third period was a lot like the first in the sense that BC was all over UNH but the Wildcats were ones who took the lead with 5 minutes to go as Scott Pavelski picked up a Trevor van Riemsdyk rebound and put it past Milner. Just seconds after the UNH goal, Austin Block was called for interference to give BC a power play. The power play struggled most of the night but scored when it mattered most as Johnny Gaudreau tied it up after tipping in a Brian Dumoulin shot from the point. With 51 seconds to go, Steve Whitney capped off his game of the year with the game winning goal when he snipped one past DeSmith from the top of the circle (An awesome pass by Pat Mullane to get it to Whitney)
Well, it wasn't pretty but any night we win and The Other School losses it's a great night. BC moved to just one game back of BU as both teams hit the ice once again tomorrow (BC @ UNH, Maine @ BU). I thought a couple of guys were just outstanding tonight. Guys like Chris Kreider, Johnny Gaudreau, and Kevin Hayes really played well tonight. As I said, the star players on this team like Gaudreau, Kreider, and Hayes need to step up and tonight they certainly did. I think Barry Almeida continues to be one of the most underrated players in the league as he played great on both ends. Did a Couple of bounces go our way ? Sure, but I thought those last five minutes were the best since the 60 minutes in the raid on Agganis in December. Great team win tonight but another must win tomorrow to keep pace in pairwise and standings.
Why BC won
1. Key guys stepped up. When guys like Gaudreau, Kreider, and Hayes are playing at that level, BC is tough to beat.
2. The penalty kill. A great night for a unit that kind of struggled last weekend @ Maine. UNH did not have a ton of great looks tonight.
3. BC really dominated the hockey game. Not only did BC win but they controlled the game. The Eagles outshot the Wildcats by a 34-13 margin.
1. Parker Milner struggled tonight. The goaltending issue continues to kill this team as I think we will definitely see another number in net @ The Whit tomorrow night.
2. I think the power play still needs improvement. Yes, the tying goal was big but going 1/5 isn't going to cut it.
Next Up- Saturday night @ UNH 7 o'clock puck drop
Player of the Game- I can't decided on about three guys. Ill go with Steve Whitney because of the game winner.