Sunday, February 12, 2012
BC vs BU Rivalry hits center stage...again
BC is 1-2 against BU this season but have outshot the Terriers by a total of 97-76 in the three games. Like I said, in the second meeting of the year in which BU won, BC dominated the game but Parker Milner was off his game and Kieran Millan put together an amazing performance. Just a night later, Brian Billett stoned the Terriers and Millan put up a hilarious display of goaltending in a game in which BC won 6-1. It is all about the goaltending. There is another big factor to consider for tomorrows game. Charlie Coyle and Corey Trivino were both in Terrier uniforms for all three of those games vs BC. Combined, Coyle and Trivino recored 9 points in three games vs the Eagles (Trivino had three goals). Also missing for the Terriers will be defenseman Alex Privitera and forward Yasin Cisse, both of whom have played a big role in what BU has done vs BC this year. Will these four guys being out make a huge difference ? I really think so. I believe with Cisse out, it gives the BC line of Sit-Hayes-Kreider a huge advantage over the BU line of Rosen-Courtnall-Hohmann. (Assuming that's the matchup)
While the Eagles have won four in a row, the Terriers are coming off an embarrassing lost to a UMass team that had not won in an opponents barn before Friday @ BU. When I look at BU, a couple of guys jump out at me. The first guy that scares me is defenseman Adam Clendening, who in my opinion is the second best defenseman in the league behind Brian Dumoulin. Clendening is the man that makes their power play roll with his smart decision making and hard shot from the point. Another Terrier that stands out to me is forward Wade Megan who currently leads all BU forwards in goals scored this season with 14. Megan had a breakout game on Monday versus Harvard as he recorded 2 goals for Jack Parker's team.
In terms of how BC matches up vs BU, I think we match up very good with them. BU doesn't have a lot of guys that can match the speed of guys like Kreider, Almeida, and Gaudreau so if BC can do a good job of breaking out the puck and getting the transition game going, it should be a win for the good guys. The one thing that worries me is Parker Milner. I know he has been great the last couple games but he has not been too good vs the Terriers over the course of his career with a 0-3 record. Both teams also have power plays that are lethal when ever they get the chance. BC's power play is at a whopping 39% conversion rate since the Maine weekend and BU has the #2 power play in the conference. Both teams also have the #1 (BC) and #2 (BU) penalty kills in Hockey East so it should be interesting to see how those units matchup. It should be another great one between the two ancient rivals but hopefully it is the Eagles that once again claim they run this town.
Players to watch
1. Alex Chaisson has great size and a deadly shot along with a good set of play making abilities. Second on the Terriers in scoring.
2. Adam Clendening. Like I said, he really makes this team go. He is one of the best puck movers in the league.
3. Wade Megan. He seems to be coming around after a big game vs Harvard on Monday. One of the better forwards on BU
Keys for the Eagles.
1. Keep it up. The team has got to continue to avoid turnovers and stay out of the bix because when they don't do this, they always seem to find ways to win.
2. The Transition game. BC has to kill BU when it comes to the transition game in order to win thsi game.
3. Goaltending. Now more than ever, Parker Milner needs to keep up his solid play as of late in order for the team to gain another Beanpot title
1. BC is 13-27 all time vs BU but have won three in a row versus the Terriers.
2. Coach York is just two wins away from 900. When he gets there, he will join former Michigan State coach Ron Mason as they only two coaches to ever get to 900 victories. Coach York also has a 23-12 record in the Beanpot.
3. BC is unfortunately 113-127-17 all time vs the Terries. BU is only Hockey East team that BC trails in an all time series.
4. The BC senior class is 7-7-1 vs BU and are 2-1 vs BU all time in the TD Garden.
Prediction- BC 5 BU 3. The speed of the Eagles is too much for BU to overcome.