Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What is really going on at UMass ?

It has been about three weeks now since former UMass-Amherst hockey coach Toot Cahoon called it quits after coaching the Minutemen for twelve seasons. When you look at the quality jobs in Hockey East, obviously BC, UNH, Maine, and BU are the biggest ones but after that could be UMass. You would think that this job could be filled very quickly with all the strong candidates available. Fast forward three weeks and the Minutemen still have no head coach and there is just a couple weeks before the players start coming in for preseason workouts. So, you have to wonder, what in the world is going on out in Amherst ? First of all, McCutcheon (the AD) says that he has not offered the postion to anyone yet but  reliable sources have said that he absolutely has offered the job to at least one candidate. I hear yesterday that they offered the job out for a third time to current USHL coach Mark Carlson but here we are twenty four hours later and we still  don't know if he has even accepted it.

I know I have said this before but I find it really hard to believe that a candidate as strong as Coach Cav ,with his resume, would pull himself out of contention when he was clearly one of, if not the strongest candidate in college hockey. I almost get the sense that there is an anti-BC bias @ UMass and I am really not sure why that is. I don't know much about McCutcheon's time at BC but I have to wonder if he left on good terms with the school. When I think about it, how in the world could UMass offer their head coaching job to two coaches that haven''t really won anything. Last time I looked, college sports is about winning and in the case of Coach Cav, you are talking about a seventeen year track record of success that is second to none. I know everybody thinks that a blind duck could recruit at Boston College but why don't you take a look at BC's record before Coach York (and Cav) came to The Heights. It's pretty incredible what they have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment